December 17, 2018 – The Names of our Savior: Jesus
Gracious Lord, at just the right time you sent your Son to take on flesh and to be our Savior. We thank you for naming him Jesus, which reminds us what he has come to do for us. In his name we pray. Amen.
She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.
A person is called a doctor because he/she works to keep people healthy, to diagnose illnesses, to heal sicknesses, and to treat was is broken. They take care of people’s bodies.
A person is called a pilot or a captain because he/she pilots a plane or a boat. A person is called a teacher because he/she teaches children or adults. A person is called a pastor because he preaches and shepherds the souls of God’s people.
People often get their names because of what they do.
When the angel was talking to Joseph, he told him exactly what to name this baby that would be born to Mary. He told him to call him “Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Right there in clear and simple words the angel helps us know exactly what job Jesus was going to do: He will save us from our sins.
See, sin deserves to be punished. Your sins deserve to be punished. God can’t, and God won’t just sweep it under the carpet and say, “It’s okay.” God can’t do that. Sin deserves to be punished. Your sin has earned you an eternity away from God and his presence with no hope of restoration.
At the very same time, God can’t, and God won’t just stand by to see you or me or anyone in this world suffer this judgment. So, he sent his Son to save us from our sins. God couldn’t bear the thought of you spending an eternity in hell, so he sent his Son to save us from it.
Right here, then, in the opening chapter of Matthew, we see the cross. Right here in the opening verses of Matthew we see God’s heart and his deepest desire that you would spend an eternity with him. Right here we see God on his mission to save the world.
Additional Reading: Isaiah 59:12-21
1. What are some jobs that people do?
2. What are some jobs that you do?
3. God is on a mission to save the world. He wants you to join him on his mission of saving the world. Who will you invite to hear the news that Jesus has come to save? Look back at your 4 people – when and how will you and your family invite them to come and hear what God has done?
1. Read Isaiah 59:12-21. As you read this section about the sin and helplessness of people, what do you notice about God? How would you characterize his heart in this section?
2. What promises does God make to you at the end of Isaiah 59?
Dear Jesus, you fulfill the meaning of your name, you came to save your people from their sins. That’s us! We thank and praise you for leaving heaven, taking on flesh, and taking our punishment so we can live with you forever. Amen.